Taste of Buffalo presented by TOPS announces 2017 Restaurant and Winery Award Winners
Sat, Jul 8th 2017 04:00 pm
July 8, 2017 - BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops today announced that several local restaurants were named award winners in a variety of categories at the 34th annual food festival. The judging took place this morning by a panel of representatives from the local media, political, and business sectors.
One new award was introduced this year. New York Beer Project won the Hometown Hero award for their mac and pork sandwich. The Taste partnered with Western New York Heroes to choose a local veteran family who selected this inaugural award.
Additional Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops winners include:
- Chair's Choice (chosen by 2017 Chair Ralph Basile): Buffalo Scotch Egg (chicken wing sausage, egg, cheezit, and panko crust) from Riverstone Grill
- Children's Choice (chosen by Jacob Loretz): Waygu Meatball with Carmelized Onion Sauce from Black & Blue Steak and Crab
- Pat Sardina Memorial Award for Best Comfort Food: Prosciutto Tortellini with Truffle Cream Sauce from Salvatore's Italian Gardens
- Lou Billittier Memorial "Rookie of the Year" Award and Best Overall Item: Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Guy
- Veteran Restaurant Award: Jerked Chicken from Caribbean Experience
- Best of Buffalo Award: Chicketta Slider from Osteria 166
- Best Meat Item: Dinosaur BBQ Wings from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
- Best Seafood Item: Lobster Mac & Cheese from SEAR
- Best Dessert: Lemony Coconut Bar from Chrusciki Bakery
- Best Sandwich: 1/2 Reuben from Eddie Ryan's
- Best Red Wine: Rose Bud Peach from Niagara Landing Wine Cellars
- Best White Wine: Zia Minx from Spring Lake Winery
- Independent Health Foundation's Healthy Options:
- First Place: Watermelon Sorbet from White Rabbit Frozen Yogurt
- Second Place: Watermelon Gazpacho from Savor @ Niagara Falls Culinary Institute
- Third Place: Fresh Fruit Sorbet (Italian Ice) from Sweet Melody's
The Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops runs through 9:00 p.m. today, and tomorrow from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. along Delaware Avenue from Chippewa Street to Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo. The Niagara East beer tent is open with live music until 11:00 p.m. tonight. For more information, visit www.tasteofbuffalo.com.