Taste of Buffalo presented by TOPS announces 2016 Restaurant and Winery Award Winnersby ahackett
July 9, 2016 - BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops today announced that several local restaurants were named award winners in a variety of categories at the 33rd annual festival. The judging took place this morning by a panel of representatives from the local media, political, and business sectors.
Three new awards were introduced this year. For the first time, judges were asked to select a delicious, creative dish that defines the best of Buffalo food and culture. The Sponge Candy Caramel Cannoli from Panaro's was the inaugural winner of the Best of Buffalo award.
Best Sandwich, won by Savor for House Smoked Brisket Slider along with the Veteran Award, given to Chrusciki Bakery were also new this year.
Additional Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops winners include:
- Chair's Choice (chosen by 2016 Chair Jen Mitri): Deep Fried PB&J, Stack Burger
- Children's Choice (chosen by Casey Mitri): Mac & Cheese, Fat Bob's Smokehouse
- Pat Sardina Memorial Award for Best Comfort Food: Nani's Meatballs, Osteria 166
- Lou Billittier Memorial "Rookie of the Year" Award: Jerk Corn, Curly's Grille & Banquet Center
- Best Overall Item: Deep Fried PB&J, Stack Burger
- Best Meat Item: BBQ Ribs, BW's Barbecue
- Best Seafood Item: Scallop Ceviche, Oshun
- Best Dessert: Peanut Stick, Paula's Donuts
- Best Red Wine: Cabernet Franc 2012, Hazlitt Vineyards
- Best White Wine: Riesling 2013, Spring Lake
Independent Health Foundation's Healthy Options:
- First Place: Sorbet with Fresh Fruit Topping, Sweet Melody's
- Second Place: Pomegranate Raspberry Sorbet, White Rabbit Frozen Yogurt
- Third Place: Chicken in the Grass, Mineo & Sapio Street Eats
The Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops, runs through 9:00 p.m. today and tomorrow from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. along Delaware Avenue from Chippewa Street to Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo. The Niagara East beer tent is open with live music until 11:00 p.m. tonight. For more information, visit www.tasteofbuffalo.com