Taste of Buffalo presented by TOPS Awards Scholarships to Five WNY Seniorsby ahackett
Atendido, Brown, Imiola, Millar and Szwejbka receive $1,000 to pursue education in food service or hospitality
BUFFALO,N.Y. - In an effort to support local area high school seniors in their pursuit of higher education in the food service and hospitality industries, the Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops is pleased to award five local high schoolstudents with $1,000 scholarships.
The winners, who were chosen based upon several criteria including academic achievement, experience, recommendations and community involvement, include:
- Madelyn Atendido from East Aurora High School who will attend Mercyhurst University;
- Emily Brown from Clarence High School who will attend Culinary Institute of America;
- Ashley Imiola from Frontier High School who will attend Niagara County Community College's Niagara Falls Culinary Institute;
- Adam Millar from Alden High School who will attend Niagara County Community College's Niagara FallsCulinary Institute; and
- Josalyn Szwejbka from Dunkirk Senior HighSchool who will attend Erie Community College.
"On behalf of the Taste, I am thrilled to offer support to our local students in the pursuit of a career in foodservice and/or hospitality." said Joe Lane, 2013 Taste chairman. "I commend this year's scholarship winners for their hard work and wish them all the bestas they join the next generation of culinary and hospitality professionals at theirrespective colleges."
The scholarship fund, which began in 1997, has awarded more than $40,000 to deserving high school seniors. To be eligible for this scholarship, students must reside in one of the eight Western New York counties and be enrolling in a food service or hospitality curriculumat an accredited two- or four-year school this coming fall.
Click here to view the winners.Celebrating its 30th birthday this year, Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops is the nation's largest two-day food festival, attracting more than 450,000 people on July 13 and July 14 along Delaware Avenue and Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo. For further information, please visit http://www.tasteofbuffalo.com.