Taste of Buffalo presented by TOPS Grants Scholarships To Six Western New York Seniorsby ahackett
May 31, 2009 - In an effort to support local area high school seniors in their pursuit of higher education in the food service and hospitality industries, The Taste of Buffalo is pleased to announce this year’s six Western New York scholarship winners, who will each receive $1,000.
“As an event that involves such a large part of the Western New York community, we enjoy giving back to those who support us and a scholarship fund is a great way to do just that,” said Thomas Muscarella, 2009 Taste of Buffalo chairman.
The scholarship fund, which began in 1997, has awarded more than $30,000 over the past ten years to help Erie and Niagara County residents who will attend two or four year schools in the upcoming fall. The winners, who were chosen based upon several criteria including academic achievement, experience, recommendations, and community involvement, are as follows:
• Briana Fries from Williamsville South High School who will attend Niagara University for tourism destination management
• Anthony Glieco from Williamsville South High School who will attend Johnson and Wales University for culinary arts
• Rachel Goodman from Lewiston-Porter High School who will attend Niagara County Community College for bakery and pastry arts
• Andrew Montesano from West Seneca West Senior High School who will attend Johnson and Wales University for culinary and nutrition studies
• Ashley Platek from Iroquois Senior High School who will attend Kent State University for food and nutrition studies
• Nia Pullinzi from Williamsville East High School who will attend the Culinary Institute of America for Culinary Science
• Amanda Zielonka from Alexander Central School who will attend John and Wales University for culinary arts and food service management
Click here for more information on the winners.
Festival hours are Saturday, July 11 from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. and Sunday, July 12 from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. Event information is available by visiting www.tasteofbuffalo.com.